Is the Yorkshire terrier (or “Yorkie”) the 4-legged companion in your life? Are their adorning smiles not the most heart-warming thing you’ve ever seen? If so, you’ll appreciate a happy and healthy Yorkie by knowing what some of the finest foods available are for your lovable pooch. It’s important to know not only how much to feed this smaller breed, but how what he eats affects his splendid coat. Throughout the different stages of his life, it’s important to know what exact diet he should be on. If you’re looking for the very best dog food for Yorkies, you’ve come to the right place.
What is the Best Dog Food for Yorkies?
- Primal Pet Foods Freeze-Dried Canine Chicken Formula 14 Oz
- Price: $34.00 ($2.43 / oz)
- Price as of 09/26/2021 18:08 PDT(more info about ad)
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Lamb and Brown Rice 30-lb
- Price: $54.98 ($1.83 / lb)
- Price as of 09/26/2021 18:08 PDT(more info about ad)
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Original Turkey & Chicken, 26-Pound Bag
- Price: $67.99 ($2.62 / lb)
- Price as of 09/26/2021 18:28 PDT(more info about ad)
How Could Food Affect My Yorkshire Terrier?
Much research has been done over the past 10 years as to how poor health and sickness in dogs relates to what exactly it is that they are eating. A few of these problems include common stomach upset to more severe things such as liver disease. Yorkies and humans are a lot alike so when selecting the best dog food for Yorkies think of her needs like a human’s. We can all share many common ailments, and with these ailments could come regrettable circumstances that could have otherwise been averted.
One of the simplest things you could do is ensure your Yorkshire terrier is getting the right ingredients into his body. It’s important to read the ingredient label for dog food, and guarantee you can at least pronounce or recognize what is on this listing. As it’s been said, protein is a very important compound to a dog’s health in general – but specifically to the Yorkie because of his smaller size. If there is too much filler in the foods you feed him, he’s missing out on the real nutrients his body needs. You should find a primary ingredient that is some kind of meat. You’ll also want to check as secondary sources for some vegetables.
What Really Makes the Best Food for Yorkies?
It can be extremely difficult to find the right food that the Yorkshire terrier really needs. You could find dozens of different brands when it comes to dog food. When searching for the perfect food to feed the Yorkie, you will want to check for a few things. Some of these include:
• Natural or Holistic Ingredients – All of the best food available to the Yorkie have some common ingredients. Frequently, a meat is the first ingredient listed. You’ll also want to ensure that it’s a wholesome and natural ingredient.
• Customer Reviews – It’s often practiced by veterinary clinics to promote particular food brands that they may have available. It’s important to note that just because a brand they’re showing off is recommended to you for your Yorkie, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the most optimal. It would be very wise check out what other Yorkshire terrier owners have recommended or had success with. Reviews can be found all over the web by a few simple searches. This is invaluable information that you should use to your advantage.
• History of Recalls – It’s important to know whether or not a pet food has been recalled. It’s common that many major pet food manufacturers have had a recall at some point in their longevity. You can check the Center for Disease Control’s website to learn more about pet food recalls. Make sure your Yorkie isn’t consuming something the CDC has raised the red flag on!
Different Kinds of Diets
Sometimes, it can be very puzzling to choose the best Yorkie food. There are a couple different routes to take when deciding which of these is best for the both of you. Let’s review what we’ve discussed as far as the available diets:
1. Wet and Dry Natural Food – This is a more traditional dog food that should have the standard quality as discussed before – wholesome ingredients, some main meat, and a source of vegetables or fruit.
2. A Raw Food Diet – Raw food could be either fresh or frozen. It’s often recommended that this type of food be refrigerated to keep its freshness available to your Yorkie.
3. Cooked Wholesome Food Diet – This is another recommended option to feed the Yorkshire terrier. Your little guy could be a particularly finicky eater, and you could find that he loves best some home cooked meals. Particularly at a younger stage in life, a 4-5 week old Yorkie will need a well-blended, soupy mixture of something like boiled chicken meat, milk replacement and water, will happily fulfill his appetite. As he gets older, you could find that mixing things like fish with 2 or more vegetables will satisfy him beyond belief! The best food for Yorkies might just be what he likes to eat the most!
4. Foods Free of Grains – Grain free foods are important if your Yorkie should develop any food allergies. If he’s not on a grain-free diet, make sure you look for things like sensitivities in skin or fur or extraneous itching. If these kinds of things are noticed, it’s important to take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible, and a grain-free diet will probably follow.
Well, we hope with this article you’ve found the best dog food for Yorkies. This small, delicate breed has a heart as big as his appetite. It’s important to make all the best choices in caring for him as if he were your own child. You’ll want to make sure you know what you’re feeding him – down to the last ingredient. Checking things like customer reviews and the labels on food will ensure he’s having the best available owner, and he’ll love you for it!
For our pet food recommendations for other breeds, please visit our Chart here.