The German Shepherd is the jack-of-all-trades among dogs, fitting the roles of the working dog, the courageous and athletic animal, or majestic and best in dog shows. This breed could trace its ancestry as far back as the early writings of the Roman Empire, and its rise to fame to the German noble Max Von Stephanitz in the year 1899. With a dog as loving, devoted, and strong as the German Shepherd, you’ll want to ensure you’re giving him nothing but the very best food available. Proper nutrition for your four legged friend will keep him in optimal and prime condition – and I’m going to share with you today some of the very best food you could put in a German shepherd diet.
What is the Best Dog Food for German Shepherds?
There’s something else you could offer to your German Shepherd to achieve maximum results – here comes Bully Max!
How About Adding Supplements to my German Shepherd’s Diet?
What Ingredients Make up the Best Dog Food for German Shepherds?
Research done over the years has found a relationship between what a dog eats and the problems that could arise. Much like humans, they could share a lot of common illnesses that we are susceptible to.
It would be a very smart thing to do to read all the ingredients of what’s in dog food. Being able to enunciate the things listed on a label is a great first step. German Shepherds need an ample amount of protein. Here’s a great suggestion for you: one of the first ingredients listed should be a meat, whether it be lamb, beef, or something else you’re familiar with. Aside from that, it should have some vegetable content for proper nutrition (just like people).
How Do I Know What’s Right For My German Shepherd?
Sometimes, it may very well be challenging to get the right food for your German Shepherd. With so many options out there, it’s easy to get lost in the question, “what’s better than the other?” The bottom line is, health and nutrition should be your number one priority. With the recommendations above, rest assured your German Shepherd is getting everything he needs to stay fit and happy.
Here’s some suggestions to creating the best food for German shepherds:
• All Natural Ingredients – Again, you’ll want to make sure you recognize what is on the food’s nutritional label. It’s very important to refrain from feeding your German Shepherd food with fillers.
• Pet Food Recall History – The federal government’s food regulation body, the Center for Disease Control, keeps a pretty close watch on food contamination for animals equally as much as it does for humans. Here’s a great article to discover more about how an actual instance of a pet food recall works. There’s some great advice for consumers.
• Reviews By People Like You – One of the best resources available to us is the internet – it provides a way to review anything, and here the experiences of other consumers. Veterinarians will commonly suggest food brands they carry in their office, but it’s also important to know that what they have might not necessarily be the best. Medical practices often suggest products in connection with their pharmaceutical companies. Vets will do equally the same with food for your German Shepherd.
Various Kinds of Diets that Make up the Best Dog Food for German Shepherds
This section is dedicated to knowing the options available to your German Shepherd for a diet. In case you haven’t followed closely, now would be a good time to start!
Let’s look together at the available diets:
1. Dry & Wet Natural Food – At its core, this is the traditional dog food regarded as all-natural. Food with a primary wholesome ingredient, such as fish, beef, or lamb falls under this category.
2. Foods that are Raw – This type of meal could be frozen or fresh, and must most often be refrigerated.
3. Complete Food Cooked – There’s another option available – DIY (Do It Yourself)! There’s a great recommendation for a German Shepherd recipe here.
4. Foods That are Free of Grains – While most dog foods that are made with grains give your German Shepherd an ample amount of calories and carbohydrates, he may develop food allergies to such products. This could lead to putting him on a diet that does not include any grains at all. If you notice something you may think is an allergic reaction, you should take him to your family veterinarian immediately.
Having a dog as a member of your family is important so we hope we’ve answered the question as to the best dog food for German shepherds. Being the jack-of-all-trades of the dog world comes with quite a responsibility – and as if he were your own child, you’d want to keep him as healthy as can be. With what I’ve shared with you today, you hopefully should be well-equipped with some great knowledge of the various foods available, and how to keep your German Shepherd’s diet as nutritionally sound as possible!
For the dog food tips for other breeds, take a look at our Interactive Chart here.